Copycat Recipe for Butter Streusel Coffee Cake – Sara Lee
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
- 1/3 cup warm water
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 package active dry yeast (2 teaspoons)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) good-quality unsalted butter, softened
- 1 whole egg + 2 yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 4 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cubed
- In a small bowl, add the warm water and sprinkle in the sugar and yeast. Let sit for about 10 minutes. It will begin to foam.
- In a large bowl (or stand mixer with beater blades) mix the flour, 3 tablespoons sugar, and butter together until almost creamed.
- Next, add the eggs and vanilla, followed by the salt and dissolved yeast.
- Mix until the ingredients are combined enough to form the dough is wet and sticky. Yes, it is messy…be warned 🙂
- Transfer the dough to a well-greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap.
- Let dough sit for 30 minutes at room temperature, then place the bowl in the refrigerator to chill overnight.
- When properly chilled, take the dough out of the refrigerator and let it sit at room temperature for 45-60 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°
- Directions for streusel topping
- Pulse the flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar, and salt in a small food processor. Add the butter and continue to pulse until the mixture forms coarse crumbs.
- Press the dough evenly into a thoroughly greased pan and top with the streusel mix.
- Bake until the cake is golden brown (about 40-45 minutes).
- Once cooked, let the cake cool for about 5 minutes before removing from the pan.
- Best served warm, enjoy!